Close Menu
  • Home
  • Asia Cricket
    • County News
  • Cricket
  • Cricket-Fixtures
  • IPL
  • News
  • Sports
  • Tournaments & Series
  • World Cup
  • WTC
What's Hot

Harry Brook on missing out on England captaincy and the Wellington incident: ‘The decision to make Root captain was the right one’ | Cricket News

August 17, 2026

Smith aims to rediscover himself against Pakistan | ICC World Test Championship

August 17, 2026

McDonald cautions against rush towards ‘regeneration’

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
WicketYaari – All About Cricket
  • Home
  • Asia Cricket
    • County News
  • Cricket
  • Cricket-Fixtures
  • IPL
  • News
  • Sports
  • Tournaments & Series
  • World Cup
  • WTC
WicketYaari – All About Cricket
Home » Harry Brook on missing out on England captaincy and the Wellington incident: ‘The decision to make Root captain was the right one’ | Cricket News
Cricket-Fixtures

Harry Brook on missing out on England captaincy and the Wellington incident: ‘The decision to make Root captain was the right one’ | Cricket News

adminBy adminAugust 17, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Harry Brook says he does not know whether the Wellington incident ahead of the Ashes cost him the England captaincy, but believes appointing Joe Root was the “right decision”.

The 26-year-old was made white-ball captain last April and promoted to vice-captain of the Test team in September.

However, it emerged in January that Brook had been struck by a bouncer the night before the third ODI in Wellington on November 1, after he was refused entry to a club.

Brook was issued with a final warning and fined approximately £30,000.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player



Speaking on the Sky Sports Cricket Podcast Nasser Hussain, believes Harry Brook is a ‘very good captain’ but need the ‘mature Harry to come out’ after his England Test captaincy snub.

“I want to apologise for my actions. I fully accept that my behaviour was wrong and brought embarrassment to both myself and the England team,” he said in a statement.

Brook has since continued as vice-captain, but following Ben Stokes’ departure, England opted to turn to Root to lead the Test side once again rather than promote their second-in-command.

While many have attributed the decision to Brook’s misdemeanour, he does not see it that way.

Captivate

This content is provided by Captivate, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Captivate cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.


Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Captivate cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Captivate cookies for this session only.

Enable Cookies
Allow Cookies Once

“I honestly don’t know,” he told BBC Sport. “I don’t really look at it like that.

“The decision to make Rooty captain is the right one. I’m actually really excited to see what he can do. He’s definitely the right man to take over that job. I’m really looking forward to working alongside him.”

“It was a tough period, especially when I was at home, getting ready to face the media,” he continued.

“I feel like the character that I showed throughout that period to go out there and still perform and lead the white-ball side fairly well – I was proud of myself and the team.

“I don’t want to say it has helped me, but it has made me realise how big it is to be England captain. It’s not just the leadership on the field. It makes a massive difference if you can lead with responsibility off the field.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player



Joe Root gives his first interview since being reappointed England Test captain.

While captaining the red-ball team is on hold, at least for now, Brook says he has relished the responsibility of leading England’s white-ball side and believes the experience will only stand him in good stead should the Test captaincy come his way in the future.

For now, though, he is right behind his leader.

“There are little things you learn throughout your career,” Brook said.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player



England Test captain Joe Root explains why he has removed the curfew that was previously imposed on his team.

“Obviously, the past few months have been on quite a high scale.

“Having that responsibility now has made a massive difference for me. There is the potential I could be captain, but at this moment in time all I’m focusing on is trying to win a few games of cricket.

“I will be 1,000 per cent behind Rooty and I’m really looking forward to what this Test side can do.”

‘Imagine how frustrated I get’

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player



Watch bits of Harry Brook’s skittish innings in the second ODI, in which he was caught on the scoop having earlier flicked on to his helmet playing a similar shot

Brook has long been regarded by team-mates and pundits alike as one of the most talented cricketers of his generation, but he has developed a frustrating habit of playing a shot that brings his innings to an end far too soon.

How does Brook feel about some of his more speculative shots? He understands the exasperation they can cause and is working to “assess” situations more quickly.

“If supporters get frustrated, imagine how frustrated I get,” Brook added.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player



Brook smashes fastest century in Hundred history!

“It’s something I’ve been really trying to work on, trying to assess conditions quicker, and read the surface better. To go out there knowing what shots are going to be hard and what is going to be easier.

“I practise every single shot and have done since the age of eight. In the nets, I would do a 360 challenge with my dad. He would throw balls and I’d have to try to hit it to a certain place: that corner, then that corner.

“I have the ability to hit it everywhere, I just have to figure it out quicker in games.”

Nasser: Root ‘correct’ to remove curfew

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player



Watch back to the 2016 second Test against Pakistan, where Joe Root smashed a monumental 254 at Old Trafford.

Nasser Hussain hailed new England Test captain Root’s decision to scrap the team curfew.

“It’s just a grown up decision, isn’t it?” Hussain said on the latest Sky Sports Cricket Podcast of Root’s decision to axe said curfew ahead of the three-Test series against Pakistan – live on Sky Sports – starting Wednesday.

“You’ve lost the team if you’ve got a curfew. You’ve got no control over your team.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player



Speaking after the New Zealand Test win in 2022, Joe Root explained why he’d taken the decision to step-away from Test captaincy.

“There’s nothing good that happens with curfews because someone will end up breaking it.

“Just treat people like grown ups, and if they don’t behave like grown ups, then the first thing you do is fine them, and then the second thing you do is leave them out.

“A professional sporting outfit shouldn’t need a curfew, and it just shows how bad a place they were in that a curfew was put in.

“I’m really pleased that Joe has said ‘no, enough of that nonsense’.”

England vs Pakistan Test series fixtures

First Test (Headingley) – Wednesday August 19 – Sunday August 23 (first ball 11am)Second Test (Lord’s) – Thursday August 27 – Monday August 31 (first ball 11am)Third Test (Edgbaston) – Wednesday September 9 – Sunday September 13 (first ball 11am)

Watch the three-Test series between England and Pakistan live on Sky Sports Cricket from August 19. Stream cricket and more sport contract-free with NOW.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

Joe Root: England Test captain right to remove curfew, says Nasser Hussain ahead of three-Test Pakistan series | Cricket News

August 17, 2026

Ben Stokes’ Durham lose One-Day Cup semi-final to Middlesex who book final meeting with Leicestershire | Cricket News

August 16, 2026

The Hundred: Trent Rockets thrash SunRisers Leeds at Lord’s to win women’s title for first time | Cricket News

August 16, 2026

The Hundred: Tim Seifert propels Manchester Super Giants to title with last-gasp win over Trent Rockets in Lord’s final | Cricket News

August 16, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

McDonald cautions against rush towards ‘regeneration’

August 17, 2026

Sri Lanka fight back but India continue to pile on runs

August 16, 2026

Gardner, Mooney, Garth lift Hundred trophy at Lord’s

August 16, 2026

How Bangladesh pulled off a Top End miracle

August 16, 2026
Latest Posts

Barcelona, Liverpool, Bayern and Atletico reach CL quarter-finals – Sport

March 20, 2026

Conway helps NZ level Twenty20 series against South Africa – Sport

March 18, 2026

‘Iran negotiating with FIFA to move World Cup games to Mexico’: president Mehdi Taj – Sport

March 18, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

WicketYaari – All About Cricket
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 wicketyaari. Designed by wicketyaari.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.